Trying CPAP machine for Muja third sleep study at PMH

In the name of Allah; the Merciful; the Compassionate - بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you - السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

On Tuesday afternoon, Muja and I went to PMH Respiratory Medicine for her third sleep study. Read about Muja's previous sleep study here. The results are here. There is a post about how I was frustrated at The Health Service in Western Australia.

This time the study is to try the CPAP machine. I arrived at 4:30 pm to learn about CPAP machine. How to use it and clean it. At 5:00 I did admission. That night Muja and I slept over at PMH for the study. When the admission finished, I went to the ward. While waiting for the room, Muja was weighed (14.2kg) and her head was marked with a red marker. I fed her through her tube. There were two other children that were doing the study as well.

It was 7:30 pm when we went into the Room 3. All the wires were ready to be sticked onto Muja head and body. When the wires were done what she looked like is in the picture below. Muja was very comfortable. Maybe she is use to them as this is her third time.

Then it was time to put the mask for CPAP machine. She didn't like it at the beginning. Maybe this is because it is her first time, give her some time. But to tell you the truth I won't be confortable sleeping with the mask on my face. Once the mask stayed on her her snoring was gone. Her breathing became clear, I was happy. I waited for her to sleep. Every hour past and she is still awake. At 11:30 pm, a nurse came in to ask about her sleep time. I said usually after midnight. It can be 1 am, 3 am or 5am.

Muja became unsettled after midnight. I hold her on my lap and she fell asleep. I know that if I lay her down she will wake up. Usually at home I lay down and hold Muja while she sleeps. It was uncomfortable for me. Any sudden movement make her wake up and cry out loud. I did it anyway to show the study this is what I have been through for more than 4 years. I put her down slowly but then she woke up and cried loud like I already said. I picked her up again and she stop cried. Then she slept again. Every time when I tried to put her done on the bed she woke up. It seem that the sitting position can make her fall asleep.

After couple of hour may hands felt tired. I put her down but her hands tried pulling the wires and the mask. So I picked her up again on my lap. Once she sleep, my feet got cramp. I moved a bit to straighten my legs but that made her wake up. I was so exhausted. What should I do? I am so tired. I need a rest. It was 2:30 am.

Alhamdulillah at around 3 am she fell asleep. I put her on the bed gently and she was still sleeping. The above picture was taken at 3:30 am. But then soon after that she woke up again. This time I lay down next to her, hugged her and pat her to sleep. I slept with her. An hour after I was awake a couple of time to the whispers of the nurses who were discussing about the CPAP machine which switched off suddenly.

I was so tired I went back to sleep and woke up at 6:45 am. I saw the mask was not on Muja. Soon after I woke up a nurse came to disconnect the wire from Muja's head and body. While she did that, she told me that I could not take the CPAP machine home because it was not working properly.

Alhamdulillah I received an appointment next Tuesday to discuss result for the study which normally take 3 to 4 weeks. Insha Allah I will post the result as soon as I get it.

Bye for now, but not forever!


Homeopath said…
Just found your blog...... Interesting.....I’ll be back to read more.
Kassim Selamat said…
Salam Ibu Muja,

Semoga kesihatan Muja bertambah baik. Dan di permudahkan segalanya..Ameen!
you have provide a great information by this post .....thanks for sharing
Cpap masks Toronto | Sleep apnea

Popular Posts