May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you - السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
A week ago Muja, her father and me went to PMH for orthopaedic surgery pre operative meeting with the PMH Orthopaedic Team (Cerebral Palsy Liaison Officer, Physiotherapist, Clinical Nurse Manager, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker and Orthotist).
Insha Allah, the date for soft tissues surgery has been scheduled for 27 October to releases her tight muscles that has pulled her hips out of its socket. Early this year Muja's right hips migration was 37% and last month's hip surveillance showed 39%.
Muja was very nervous that day. Her father was still thinking that she does not need this surgery. He was very consent about how uncomfortable she will be in the "broom stick cast" for six weeks.
It is not easy for me too. Sending her for another surgery, hospital stay and post surgery stress, these all make me uneasy. I only can put my trust in Allah The All mighty and remember the dua made by the people in the cave, "Our Lord! bestow on us Mercy from Thyself, and dispose of our affair for us in the right way!"
The outline that we discussed at the meeting:
- surgical date - 27/10/2009
- description of proposed surgical technique - lengthening of hip adductors +/- hip flexors and +/- hamstrings (knee flexors)
- pain relieving medication - epidural
- description/demonstration of splinting/plaster casts used post-operatively - plaster on both legs for about 6 weeks
- seating and any possible wheelchair modifications that may be necessary - legboard on wheelchair
- transfers - hoist and sling
- toileting, bathing and general nursing care - sponge bath (keep plaster dry)
- transport - in wheelchair in van with legboard bolted to wheelchair
- return to home - about one week
- return to school - usually about one month depending on her recovery
- additional community support which may be required during this time - contact Local Area Coordinator for respite